- Activated Ability. These Abilities are chosen by the Player, usually via the Activate or Actions. They always require consuming Resources.
- Passive Ability. These Abilities happen automatically, without Player intervention. They may change Resources, usually favorably. Mainly found on Cards and Created Elements.
Not all Abilities are beneficial; some are Drawbacks.
Every Card has three Abilities that are Unlocked as they gain Expertise. A Card with multiple Activated Abilities unlocked may only choose one per Turn. Passive Abilities from the same Card may also apply; many Cards are designed that way.
TTD break out effect, property, and clause pages. Give each of these a stub template page, and then have this category auto-generate the alphabetical list of all abilities.
TTD change maneuver term to ability where necessary to be more precise
- Lone - Tap just ME.
- Crew N - Requires more Prepped Units than just ME. Crew Maneuvers may have further constraints on the Crew composition, such as Weapon, Role, 'Verse, and Rank. Common ones include:
- Squad (Sqd) - ME must be in a Squad, and all Squad members are Tapped. All Squad maneuvers have implicit Weapon or Role constraints.
- Leader (Ldr) - Crew members must include at least one Leader or higher rank.
- Commander (Cdr) - Crew members must include at least one Commander or higher rank.
- Hero (Hero) - Crew members must include at least one Hero.
Collectively, Leader, Commander, and Hero Maneuvers are called Officer Maneuvers. All Officer Maneuvers have a 'Verse constraint, usually that several Units from the same 'Verse must be Tapped. Here are two common 'Verse constraints:
- Native N - At least N Units from the same 'Verse must be Tapped.
- Joint N - At least N Units from a different 'Verse must be Tapped.
Not all abilities are equally powerful. There is a rough scale of seven ability Levels, along with a guideline to what Level abilities can be on different cards as a function of Type, Echelon, Rank, and Grade. In the chart below "Rank Grade" is abbreviated, so an L2 is a Leader Grade 2.
|A1||-||Single Trigger||Once||0||2.5||E2 / L1||E1|
|A2||Lone||Active Property||per Tap||1||1.5||E3 / L2||E2 / L1||E1|
|A3||Squad||Reactive Property||per S Tap||3||3||L3||E3 / L2 / C1||E2 / L1||E1|
|A4||Crew||Tribal Multiplier||Per N Tap||2-4||2-4||H1 / L3 / C2||E3 / L2 / C1||E2 / L1|
|A5||Ldr||Active Multi-Trigger||Per L Tap||3||4||H2 / C3||H1 / L3 / C2||E3 / L2 / C1|
|A6||Cdr||Reactive Multi-Trigger||Per C Tap||4||5.5||H3||H2 / C3||H1 / L3 / C2|
|A7||Hero||Crazy Bat Shit||Per H Tap||5+||7+||H3||H2 / H3 / C3|
Abilities have a common syntax, which is usually
Ability = [ Pre-Condition(s) ] [ Keyword N | X Stat ] [ Clause(s) ]
- [ Pre-Condition(s) ] are the requirements or resources needed to play the Ability. Some abilities can only be played under certain circumstances, and require specific conditions met. The most common resource for Maneuvers are Tapping Units:
- Triggers are also placed in the Pre-Condition Column. Common variants include:
- [ Keyword N | X Stat ] is the Effect summarized by Keyword.
- [ Clause(s) ] are further elaborations on the Ability, usually further specifying valid TARGETS.
An entire Ability can be passed as a Parameter to another Ability. This is often done to Create instantiated Elements like Sites. A Parameter can also be a part of an Ability, like an Effect or Variable, and is denoted:
- [ Effect ]
- (N) or (X)
See Effects for more Syntax.
- Sites and Equipment are often created by Effects
- Maneuver Design
- Magic the Gathering Keywords
- Kim's Beginner's Guide to Magic the Gathering
This category has the following 11 subcategories, out of 11 total.
Pages in category "Card Abilities"
The following 75 pages are in this category, out of 75 total.