There are two kinds of gameplay Elements:
- Permanent - The Element persists in play even though it may change in Attributes
- Transient - The Element is temporary in play or has limited uses or Effect
with two mutually exclusive qualities:
- Destructible - The Element can be destroyed
- Indestructible - The Element may be created, but cannot be destroyed
There are six essential kinds of Elements:
- Player - The agent that chooses among alternatives. Players are Permanent and Indestructible.
- Card - The fundamental playing piece. Cards have Card Abilities and Attributes. Cards are Permanent and Indestructible.
- Zone - The areas a Card may exist in. Zones are Permanent and Indestructible, or Transient and Destructible.
- Spot - Each Spot belongs to exactly one Zone and have a geometric Adjacency relationship to each other. Spaces are Permanent and Indestructible.
- Site - A buff or debuff that exists in a Spot. All Sites are Destructible. Keep and Sync Sites are Permanents while Camps and Traps are Transients.
- Keyword - A word or phrase attached to another Element that is a shorthand for an Official Rule. Keywords are Permanent and Indestructible.
and three derived kinds of Elements
- Copy - An Indestructible duplicate of a Card created during play. Copies follow the same rules as Cards.
- Decoy - A Destructible duplicate of a Card that is destroyed whenever it would Move between Zones. Decoys otherwise follow the same rules as Cards.
- Mirage - A Destructible duplicate of a Spot that is destroyed whenever it is Filled by a Site. Mirages otherwise follow the same rules as Spots.
Players Own all other Elements in a natural way.
Lastly, relationships may be formed on the fly according to Card Abilities.
Effects and ResolutionEdit
TARGET and SelectEdit
Only three Types of Elements may be chosen as a TARGET:
- Player - This may be YOU, Ally, or Foe. Refer to PLAYER Clauses.
- Spot - There are a variety of modifiers. Refer to SPOT Clauses.
- Card - The most common targets are ME and Units. Refer to CARD Clauses.
Other game Elements must be Selected indirectly:
- Zone - Referred to as "target PLAYER's Zone"
- Site - Referred to as "Site in target SPOT"
- Keyword - Referred to as "target CARD's Keyword"
The Official Rules elaborate further details about each Element and how they may interact.