Trying to AchieveEdit
- A fun game that is easy to play. Challenging at all skill levels, but never too difficult nor too easy
- A game you can and want to replay. Particularly those with continual variation or surprises
- A game where it is always clear what you need to do. You are never lost or lack for something to do
- A game you can play with friends. Where being social is part and parcel of the experience
- A game with built in prestige. With stuff, achievements, or bragging rights you can show off to your friends
- A game where you can feel heroic. Where you feel like you made a difference and know what that was
- A game with an intriguing story. One that creates distinct memories you feel good about
- A game where you can spectate cool stuff. This can be gameplay, events, the ooh ahh world, etc.
- A game with sensual appeal. Particularly those that create an immersive experience
- A novel game. Simply something new can be very entertaining
- A game simple to learn yet with complex strategy
- A game with ample, clear minigames that enhance play
- Fun! Excitement! Damn that was nifty!
- High replay value, all cards useful somehow somewhere
- Card choice in deck creation visibly impacting gameplay and achieving objectives
- Physical geometry matters
- A consistent military theme
- Can be played in 15-30 min increments, 10-20 mins if we can achieve it
- Good out-of-game community with in-game social interactions
Trying to Avoid Edit
- Expensive cards = game win. Power is a big leap forward, i.e. to limit how powerful a deck is, and matchmake accordingly
- Instants and the Stack (from Magic) = Interrupts on another person’s turn. Disallow.
- Other permanents that aren’t units (Artifacts, Enchantments, Equipment, Auras). Simply don't have.
- Land screwing. Make all units creatures + land.
- Bad hand draws / mulliganing. Vanguard addresses this concern directly.
- Tokens. Disallow.
- Trading card paradigms, in particular: Randomness, trading, and resale market. Disallow.
- Unnecessary complexity. Only time will tell whether we tuned this right...
Related Pages Edit
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.